“I strive to create art that has dynamic shape and form with colors constantly changing. I want the paintings to have a multifarious quality.”
Beginning with acrylic color, I build my surfaces using traditional and non-traditional tools such as rubber blades and pallet knives. Layering paint and selectively removing areas of it from the canvas creates both depth and dynamic color relationships. These abstractions are meant to evoke both organized systems and chaotic circumstances of nature.
Over many years, I have learned to let process and materials lead me in painting. A new artwork begins and ends with each addition and removal of medium from the canvas or panel. Many iterations later reveals the final image. It’s a fun and exciting experience. As both viewer and maker, I embrace the surprising result.
Kansas City based artist Mark Hennick enjoys the process of specifying color, building composition and observing the outcome. Through his abstract works, Hennick explores using nontraditional tools and new techniques for painting. Mark is also a seasoned graphic designer. This experience with color theory and composition fuels his enthusiasm for painting. His meditation and vinyãsa yoga practice are also an inspiration for the images he creates.
Hennick exhibits throughout the Kansas City area and shows his artworks in many art fairs and fine art galleries. He lives and plays in the Kansas City River Market and paints at his studio in the Historic West Bottoms.
- Visions of the Flint Hills Exhibition 2022 at Buttonwood
- Kansas City Exhibition 2022 at Buttonwood
- “Abstract: heART for All” at Buttonwood Art Space 2022
- Flow & Glow Exhibition at Habitat Contemporary Gallery 2021
- Art For All 2021 at Kansas City Artists Coalition
- 2021 Kansas City Flatfile + Digitalfile at H&R Block Artspace
- 13th Annual Visions of the Flint Hills Art Benefit and Sale 2021
- 41 Annual Art Westport 2021
- Sun Salutations Exhibition at JRB Art at the Elms, OKC. 2021
- Summer Small Works Show at Kansas City Stockyards Gallery 2021
- 12th Annual Visions of the Flint Hills Art Benefit and Sale 2020
- Winter Salon IV 2019-2020 at Cerbera Gallery
- Small Works Show Winter 2020 at the Bunker Center for the Arts
- Celebrat!on: Art Benefit for KCCreates and GUILDit
- 40th Annual Art Westport 2019
- Exhibition: Beautiful Light. Hope. Healing. Wellness. Summer 2019
- Kansas City Artists Coalition Art Auction 2018
- One Night Stand Exhibition at Kansas City Artists Coalition 2018
- Visions of the Flint Hills at Buttonwood Artspace 2018
- 39th Annual Art Westport 2018
- Zona Rosa Arts Festival 2016
- 37th Annual Art Westport 2016
- Prairie Village Art Show 2016
- Plum Gallery Exhibition Opening 2015
- 34th Annual Art Westport 2012
- 32nd Annual Art Westport 2010
- 31st Annual Art Westport 2009